Skip to main content

National Tie One On Day - Pan, The Greek God of the Wild

November 27th is National Tie One On Day according to my trusty internet search so I’m going to take this time to talk about the Greek god, Pan. I get that he is better known for his pick up artist ways, but don’t sell him short on the partying. I mean his best bud was none other than Dionysus, god of debauchery and all things fun.

OK, so, Pan was a satyr which means he was 65/35 goat/human and he sure liked the ladies of the forest, aka, the nymphs. The story goes that he basically stalked this one nymph, Syrinx, so bad that the river nymphs gathered and turned her into a bunch of reeds to hide her.

Pan, not to be deterred by the new form the object of his desire took, grabbed a handful of reeds and made his flute...thus creating the pan flute.

 Ugh, I feel like I should have prepared a spiffy sign off like..."and that’s the Pith of the Myth" or something. I’ll work on it ;)

Comments